Wednesday, June 24, 2009


AMERICA, IMMIGRATION AND THE IRONY OF IT ALL

I just finished spending some time making a 4th of July comp of country music about freedom to give to some friends. Kinda redneck and outspoken stuff. Then I got hungry and and started thinking about what to do for dinner.

I try, according to my means, to give my money to people in my own neighborhood that genuinely love their country. Obama sign in the window during the election? See ya. So I started thinking about the places that I frequent, my alternatives.

I shop at the Asian market down the street. The Americans of Chinese descent there are happy, helpful, love being here and love their country. The Korean restaurant down the street is run by the most wonderful, hardworking people who are happy, helpful, love being here and love their country. The carry-out up the street is run by Americans of Indian descent who are happy, helpful, love being here and love their country.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Irony is SO 90's but still, how ironic is it that legal immigrants to this country are much more into it than people who's families have been here for generations? Long-time American families have become complacent and bitter about no one being there to wipe their asses while they're busy watching reality TV, and feel oppressed and fed up with the lack of absolute perfection in our nation. Immigrants, on the other hand, having had experience with the alternative, value our nation for the great opportunity that it is.

Ironic.

But the biggest irony? As a Republican, I have been labeled by the educational elite and the media as one who supposedly HATES people that look different than myself who come from other cultures... and yet, it turns out to be precisely those people in my neighborhood who believe the same things as I.

The Americans of Indian descent up the street have been huge supporters of fundraising for the neighborhoods 4th of July celebration, which until they and others stepped up, looked like it might not happen. Their community matters and they love their home.

This 4th, while I'm listening to Charlie Daniels, I'll be thinking about my wonderful neighbors from India, Korea and China and thinking, "God bless America, I'm so glad they're here."

No comments: